Application and Enrollment
When can I start? The academic year at U Klagenfurt comprises two semesters: The winter semester provides courses from the beginning of October until the end of January, and the summer semester from the beginning of March until the end of June. Exams are sometimes in the course-free periods. The ICE master program can be started in the winter as well as in the summer semester, but a start in the winter semester (Oct 1) is recommended.
How to apply and enroll? A two-step process is required to commence your study: The first step is the online registration and application for admission. All required documents have to be submitted to the admission office for validation. Only after successful admission can you take the second step: the personal on-site enrollment in Klagenfurt.
When should I apply? The formal application deadline is September 5 or February 5, respectively. All required documents must be received by the admission office by then. Since the process for validating all documents of international students may take up to four months, it is recommended to apply in June for the winter semester and in November for the summer semester.
What are the requirements for applying to the ICE master program?
1. General university entrance qualification: Admission to the ICE master program requires the completion of a bachelor degree in the subject of the program (i.e., electrical engineering, computer engineering, or related field) from a university or Fachhochschule, or another equivalent study program from a recognized post-secondary educational institution.
2. Special university entrance qualification. If you hold a non-Austrian degree, you must provide evidence that you would be admitted directly to a similar program in the country issuing the degree. In other words, you must prove that you are entitled to immediately commence the course of study for which you apply in Austria, without any further entrance examination, admission examination, supplementary examination, or other restrictions in the country of issue. If a program in information and communications engineering does not exist in the country of your degree, the most closely related program must be chosen. It is only if this country has no universities whatsoever that no such evidence needs to be provided (not valid for applicants from countries of the European Union). You may use this template to organize your personal special university entrance qualification at your home university.
3. Language skills. All courses of the master program in information and communications engineering are held in English. Thus, good to very good English skills (listening, speaking, writing) are required. Other language skills are not required.
There is no entrance examination for the ICE master program.
Which documents are required? The following documents shall be submitted to the admission office at least four months before the deadline:
- Completed application form
- Evidence of university study programs already completed (inclusive all in English translated and apostilled credentials)
- Proof of General University Entrance Qualification (Bachelor's Degree)
- Proof of Special University Entrance Qualification (not applicable to EU citizens)
- Curriculum vitae in English or German
Are self-made copies of my documents fine? No. All documents shall be submitted in the form of an original or authenticated copy. Documents in foreign languages shall be accompanied by German translations or at least by an English translation. Original documents, copies and translations must be officially authenticated in the country of issue and confirmed by the local Austrian embassy/consulate. Pursuant to international treaties, documents from certain countries only require a simplified authentication or no authentication. Court-sworn interpreters are responsible for translations of documents in Austria. Detailed information is available in this document.
Where do I have to send my application to? After online registration, all documents must be submitted to: Universität Klagenfurt, Studien- und Prüfungsabteilung, Universitätsstraße 65-67, A-9020 Klagenfurt, Austria, Europe. Applications within the framework of mobility programmes (ERASMUS, Joint Study) should be submitted via the International Office of the university.